October 13, 2010

Day 286

There was an earthquake centered in Norman today! It hit shortly after 9 AM just a few miles east of our house. I have heard reports that it was a 4.5, 4.3, or 5.1 magnitude - at any rate, fairly strong for Oklahoma, but not strong enough to bring down a building or anything. I was in my 9th floor office when it hit, and boy, was it scary! At first I thought it was just a plane flying too close to the building but then I realized it wasn't just the windows that were shaking! I ran out in the hallway and realized other people had felt it, too. We all ran downstairs (in case it was something besides an earthquake, and because it seemed safer to be outside and not in the building tower, regardless). I was a bit concerned to head home this afternoon, because I thought we might have pictures off the walls or even things that had broken. Want to see our earthquake damage?

Can't tell what the damage is? The blue candle on the stove surface used to be up in the gap on the top of the stove. Thankfully, nothing broke, and as far as I can tell, nothing else fell, either. So glad that God kept us all safe during this scary experience!

2 comments:

  1. Did the candle really land upright? I'm so glad the earthquake wasn't any worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I found it when I got home yesterday afternoon, so I guess so! Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete