December 2, 2010

Day 336

Back Story: About 3 weeks ago, I was working on my dissertation in my office one morning, and I noticed my laptop was running on battery power. I checked to make sure everything was connected properly, and still, the laptop wouldn't start charging. I ended up saving all my crucial files to a flash drive, shutting down the laptop to conserve the remaining battery, and calling Patrick to rescue me. Fortunately, he has a laptop of the same brand that he doesn't use terribly often, so he was able to loan me his power cord. He tested my cord with his laptop, and sure enough, my cord was toast. When we got back from Thanksgiving, he mailed it off to get a replacement through Best Buy and threw part of my power cord away, thinking it was junk. However, when the new cord arrived today, we realized that we were supposed to return the old cord... oops. Fortunately, we don't take out our trash terribly often... So yes, you guessed it -- I dug through an entire bag of trash tonight. Yuck. But, we did find the cord, and it is in decent shape considering it sat under food and other trash for five days. The best part is, tomorrow is trash day. So, if the new cord hadn't come today, or if we hadn't opened it immediately, the old cord would be history, and we'd be paying for it -- literally! Sorry for the long story. But, here's the guilty trash bag and somewhat disgusting power cord:


Quote of the Day: "True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost." -- Charles Caleb Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment